About us / Contact
Tel: 01453 839454
Postal address: The Makerss, Unit 19 Nailsworth Mills Estate, Avening Road (near Garden Centre), Nailsworth, Gloucestershire, GL6 0BS
We are a small business based in Nailsworth, Gloucestershire, a place known for its traditional link to the textile industry which is manifested by the numerous old mill buildings in the area. We are based on the Nailsworth Mills Estate and we currently employ ten staff.
The Makerss Team are keen on values of ethical sourcing of products and putting people, the enviroment and animal welfare first. These values guide their business development and have contributed to their success since 2015. The daily business practice is underpinned by The Makerss beliefs:
- The Makerss Motto is: ‘ Every One A Maker’ – we believe that every one is creative and can craft. We endeavour to make needle felting and other crafts accessible to everybody and are there to support, encourage and help.
- We believe that we can make a positive contribution to the environment and reduce waste sent to landfill by using recyclable / recycled / reusable packaging and products where possible*, renewable energy and in general uphold an environmentally friendly attitude in everything we do day by day (walk to work, recycle at home and work, re-use packaging etc)
- Whilst we are retailers first, we are crafters at heart and therefore only sell what we love and use ourselves. Many times have we talked people out of a sale when we believe they don’t need a product.
- We believe in making a positive contribution to communities and charities and support charities every year (War Child, Jessie May, local donkey sanctuary, Grans on the Make, Cats Protection, Dogs Trust, Butterfly Conservation Trust)
- We work hard – over and above what is expected and have created online groups to help others with their needle felting and crafting projects 7 days a week. We now host regular free YouTube Tutorials and Online demonstrations and appear regularly on Create & Craft TV Show.
- Our wool comes either from British Farmers or from businesses who responsibly source the wool. None of our wool tops come from mulesed sheep**. These businesses are either GOTS (Global Organic Textile Standards) certified and / or work according to Oeko-Tex standards, (OEKO-TEX® enables consumers and companies to make responsible decisions which protect our planet for future generations). Our main supplier is powered by renewable wind energy.
- Our horsehair is sustainably harvested from live horses in the Mongolian Steppe region. It therefore provides a sustainable and environmentally friendly income for the native peoples who live there and care for the horses.
- We design all our own products and hand-pack them at our premises in Gloucestershire, UK.
* Packaging & Products: Our Kraft kit boxes are made from sturdy, reusable card and our small Glassine bags are acid-free (ph neutral), completely recyclable, compostable and biodegradable. We use polythene zip lock bags to send out our fleece and every crafter knows how useful these can be, particularly to keep moths off your wool stash, these can be recycled with plastic bags at the end of their life. We have completely replaced our foam felting mats with more environmentally friendly choices: our new Basic Wool Felting Mats, made from recycled wool and 100% compostable; our Earth Mats, a longer lasting alternative to the Basic Wool Mats (both of these are made with British Wool), and our Eco Felting Mats (a fabric bag filled with rice).
** Mulesing: Some of you may be concerned about a practice called mulesing which has been used by some Merino wool farmers. We have asked our suppliers about this and here is their response: "Since 2010 [in Australia], mulesing has been banned on a voluntary basis. Our dyed Australian wool is 100 % mulesing free. We have a certificate for this. In other countries the farmers do not use mulesing. Our wool is mulesing-free."