About us / Contact
Tel: 01453 839454
Postal address: The Makerss, Unit 19 Nailsworth Mills Estate, Avening Road (near Garden Centre), Nailsworth, Gloucestershire, GL6 0BS
We are a small business based in Nailsworth, Gloucestershire, a place known for its traditional link to the textile industry which is manifested by the numerous old mill buildings around the area. We are based in the old Nailsworth Mills Estate and we currently employ eight staff.
The Makerss is owned by Steffi Stern and Sophie Buckley, wool and craft enthusiasts who have been professionals in the creative industry for many years and established The Makerss in June 2015 when their first joint book Making Needle Felted Animals was published. Steffi Stern has since then written another book Making Simple Needle Felts which was released in 2018 and is currently working on a third.
Both Sophie and Steffi uphold values that guide their business development and have contributed to their success over the last four years. These values are fundamental to their daily business practice and are as follows:
- The Makerss Motto is: ‘ Every One A Maker’ – we both believe that every one is creative and can craft. We endeavour to make needle felting and other crafts accessible to everybody and are there to support, encourage and help.
- We believe that we can make a positive contribution to the environment by using recyclable or recycled packaging **), renewable energy and in general uphold an environmentally friendly attitude in everything we do day by day (walk to work, recycle at home and work, re-use packaging etc)
- Whilst we are retailers first and foremost we are crafters at heart and therefore only sell what we love and use ourselves. Many times have we talked people out of a sale when we believe they don’t need a product.
- We believe in making a positive contribution to communities and charities and have free craft groups at our premises and support charities every year (War Child, Jessie May, local donkey sanctuary – all in 2018)
- We work hard – over and above what is expected and have created online groups to help others with their needle felting / crafting projects 7 days a week.
- Our wool comes either from British Farmers or from businesses who responsibly source the wool. None of our wool tops come from mulesed *) sheep.
- We design all our own products and pack them at our premises in Gloucestershire.
*) Mulesing: Some of you may be concerned about a practice called mulesing which has been used by some Merino wool farmers. We have asked our suppliers about this and here is their response: "Since 2010 [in Australia], mulesing has been banned on a voluntary basis. Our dyed Australian wool is 100 % mulesing free. We have a certificate for this. In other countries the farmers don´t use mulesing. Our wool is mulesing free."
**) Packaging: We try to use recycleable or reusable packaging where possible. Our kit boxes, and shopping bags are made from paper and card and are strong enough to be re-used for other crafty purposes. We use zip lock bags to send out our fleece in and every crafter knows how useful these can be, particularly to keep moths off your wool stash.